Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Under the Pink Review (no Kate Kontent)

From: Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 14:56:20 PST
Subject: Under the Pink Review (no Kate Kontent)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

 For those who are interested, this little blurb appeared in the January
15, 1994 eidtion of The Globe and Mail:

Under the Pink
Tori Amos
Atlantic/Warner CD 59372

The best songs on Amos's striking debut album, _Little Earthquakes_,
combined the lyrical rawness of later Marianne Faithful with the sweetness
and pop eccentricity of Kate Bush.  Here, on the follow-up she attempts to
strike the same balance, but the results tend to fall on either side.  When
she plays it straight, Amos is only a fair-to-middling singer-songwriter, a
tinkler of pianos and a twitterer of pseudo-poetic angst.  And when she
goes for the big dramiatic moment, full of noise and discord, she
sacrifices the melodic strength that carried even the most harrowing songs
on her debut.  There are some engaging moments on _Under the Pink_ but not
enough to set Amos apart from the crowd.

- 30 -

AndreA
Strange party, this.  There's hundreds of people here but I can't see
anyone, nobody's talking and I keep getting handed these little notes.

Andrea Custy
Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca