Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Houdini

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 02:32 CST
Subject: Re: Houdini
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9401271326.tn158788@aol.com> you write:
>Stuart Castergine said:
>>Except for the name, I believe you were right -- she did try for years to
>>reach Harry, and once thought she succeeded when a medium gave the proper
>>code, but the medium was found to have gotten the code illicitly. She
>>eventually concluded that it couldn't be done. (I think -- again, I'm
>>recalling old love-hounds threads on this subject).
>
>I have heard that Bess actually did believe that Houdini had contacted her
>but that she was a devout woman and was pressured by persons in her church to
>recant the story.  I don't know whether that's true or not.  Makes you
>wonder.

   That wasn't in any of the biographies I've read, including some
"magician-only" private-press books, so I'd say that's wishful thinking
on the part of psychic fans. Bess kept conducting senances attempting
contact for many years, and I'd doubt that she'd have kept trying if
she truly believed he had already contacted her.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)