Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: nessus@twitch.mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 15:19:33 GMT
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <m0pCirs-000iliC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:

>      You have no more proof of what she does or does not believe
>   than your own desire to have her believe the same as you do.  To
>   date, we know these two facts: Kate was confirmed as a Catholic
>   and she has some level of belief in the "paranormal."  (Nobody's
>   perfect.) Everything else is conjecture.

We have quite a bit more evidence than this, Chris, though certainly
nothing conclusive.  Over the years she has given more tidbits away
that you will admit: She has definitely mentioned believing in
"energies".  She has said in an interview that she does not consider
herself a Christian, but can see that many Christian beliefs are
attractive.  Recently she has said that Lilly is a healer whose help
she has found useful, and that the "ritual" described in the song
"Lilly" is a prayer that has been taught to her.  The strong
implication here is that Lilly taught Kate the prayer and that Kate
believes the prayer has a useful effect.  We also know that Kate's
brother John believes in Zen and was (according to Kate in some old
interview) at some time Kate's greatest influence.  We also know that
Kate has practiced Zen archery.

   <nessus@mit.edu>