Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 93 23:45 CST
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris here,

Well, as I stated, there have been a number of people posting some
fairly involved descriptions of the "ritual", and not one of them has
added one iota of new actual information or worthwhile analysis
of the *song*.
It's just "believers" taking the opportunity to post about their
beliefs, (one of which is that Kate must *share* their belief.)

Jean Devitt Kirwin:
> Granted, there is some debate on whether Kate actually believes
> in this so called 'bullshit' or not.... personally, being very
> well read on the subject, there isn't a doubt in my mind that
> Kate has most certainly dabbled in the arts of the white witch..
> or the 'wiccan' as many prefer to say, in avoidance of malicious
> retribution.  When I heard the song, I was thrilled!! There isn't
> a doubt in my mind... of course, those of you who know nothing
> about the topic will continue to wrestle with the thought...

   It is no "proof" at all.

   Kate wrote _Cloudbusting_, and we cannot claim that she believes
in orgone energy.

   Kate wrote _Them Heavy People_, and we cannot claim that she
is a follower of Gurdjeff.

   Kate wrote _Coffee Homeground_, and there is no proof that she
ever poisoned anyone.

   Kate wrote _Pull Out The Pin_, and she is not (to my knowledge)
a Viet Cong.

   Kate is a *writer* who create fictional characters who do and
believe things that she doesn't. I think it's fairly obvious
that I don't need to explain the difference between fiction and
reality.

> But then again... this all may be just too far out for most
> of the group readers to accept, so I apologize if I have
> offended anyone's beliefs or pre-conceptions about Kate and
> what she REALLY belives in....

   You have no more proof of what she does or does not believe
than your own desire to have her believe the same as you do.
To date, we know these two facts: Kate was confirmed as a
Catholic and she has some level of belief in the "paranormal."
(Nobody's perfect.) Everything else is conjecture.

    Jean believes that the presence of this "proves" that Kate
is a Wiccan, but the next post on my system proves...

> If anybody can answer this quiestion for me I would greatly appreciate
>it. In the song "Lilly," Kate refernces the angels Gabriel, Raphael, Michael,
>and Uriel. This is very similar to the prayer found in the Jewish prayer called
>the "Night Prayer" which reads "...may Michael be at my right hand, and Gabriel
>at my left, before me Uriel, behind me Raphael..." The only difference in
>Kate's lyrics is that she transposed the "directions" of Gabriel and Uriel.
>Does anyone know the origin of where this cam from??? My prayer book gives no
>clue, and the only thing I know about is that they were angels.

...that Kate is actually Jewish! (Boy, will Ed Suranyi be happy.)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)