Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-54 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Lily" and religious references

From: jakirwi%farseer@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Jean Devitt Kirwin)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 93 17:34:58 -0500
Subject: Re: "Lily" and religious references
To: jakirwi%farseer@relay.nswc.navy.mil, Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

When Kate references the four angels, she is actually performing
an invocation of the 4 guardians of the corners of the earth..
east, west, north and south.  This is commonly one of the first
things done when casting a magick circle.  The circle is cast and
the four guardians are called to protect it from all directions.
Granted, there is some debate on whether Kate actually believes
in this so called 'bullshit' or not.... personally, being very
well read on the subject, there isn't a doubt in my mind that
Kate has most certainly dabbled in the arts of the white witch..
or the 'wiccan' as many prefer to say, in avoidance of malicious
retribution.  When I heard the song, I was thrilled!! There isn't
a doubt in my mind... of course, those of you who know nothing
about the topic will continue to wrestle with the thought...
it's really not such a bad thing.  Wiccans are very good
hearted people... and they are very educated, spiritual and
enlightened.  They spend their lives trying to help others
through the use of their spirit...  and many succeed.  It's
sad that many would call such a force of will 'bullshit'..
it really happens.  It is evident that she casts a circle
in this song... and the introduction by Lily sets the stage.
She uses salt... calls the angels... and uses fire.  A
CIRCLE of fire... the song is a very powerful statement by
Kate of her struggle... perhaps with the death of her mother..
and her solution for the protection of her spirit.  Kate
has such a powerful essence about her, I'm sure that if she
was indeed a fully practicing wiccan, much of what she
'willed' would come to be.

But then again... this all may be just too far out for most
of the group readers to accept, so I apologize if I have
offended anyone's beliefs or pre-conceptions about Kate and
what she REALLY belives in....

- Jean