Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tidbits

From: Suspended In Duct Tape <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1993 23:48:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Tidbits
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi!

I don't know what's been discussed here of relevance to Herself in the past
week, since I've deleted all my Digests without reading them.  Call me a
coward, but whenever the Jorn Wars start up, my first instinct is to run
the other way, very fast.  (Someone tell me when it's safe to return, okay?)

Anyway, I was watching our local Fox affiliate (that's a TV network, for you
non-US folks) the other night (Melrose Place, I believe it was- there's no
accounting for taste, is there? ;), and whilst happily ignoring the commercials
was suddenly brought back to earth by the strains of "Rubberband Girl", and
about 10 seconds of the video.  It was an ad for an electronics/music/video
store in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut area called Nobody Beats The
Wiz (stoopid name, but hey), and they were emphasizing good Christmas gift
music.

"This year, decorate your tree with some Red Shoes from Kate Bush- on sale
now for just $13.99!"  The ad went on to do similar plugs for the new albums
by Pearl Jam and Billy Joel- apparently they have some promotion going on with
Sony, and this was the ad in conjunction with that.

Wow- a television ad for a Kate Bush album in the US.  Has this ever happened
before?

(I saw the ad again this evening, while watching _Deep Space Nine_- pretty good
demographics and audience, I must say!)

I was in one of these stores yesterday, and I found the US "Rubberband Girl"
single, so I bought it.  I like the two extra tracks, but I haven't really
given them good listens yet.  The store also had bajillions of copies of
_TRS_ in stock- I wonder how many they'll sell?

Meredith
meth@delphi.com