Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-52 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Community, pride, and whatnot

From: robh@cyberspace.org (Robert Henderson)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 18:19:21 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Community, pride, and whatnot
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Jorn (jorn@MCS.COM) has written:
>The following will count as acceptable counterevidence to Stev0's
>proposition, by my reckoning:

>- support for the free expression of unpopular viewpoints

Temporarily staying out of the other, related arguments, I have to
agree on this one.  A while ago, I was planning on posting a detailed
description of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, with
annotations as to what each part meant, and the magic(k)al symbolism
in the other parts of the song "Lily".  "Sure," I thought, "everyone will
be interested in this sort of thing, getting a new insight into the
song, etc."

I decided against it.  Why?  Because everyone on the newsgroup/list
was copping an attitude about the whole thing.  "Oh no, Kate doesn't
really believe that bullsh*t, and if you do, you're an idiot."  Or words
to that effect.  Okay, not everyone on the list, but enough people.

I know a lot of you don't believe in "psychic powers" and such, and
you think I'm loopy because I'm a practicing occultist/neo-pagan.
Okay.  I can deal with that.  I've dealt with Fundamentalist Christians,
and believe me, you've been civil in comparison.

Now I'm asking you:  Can you at least listen to the viewpoints of
others without all the flaming?  Can't we all just get along?  (Yes,
I'm stealing quotes again.  Well, not stealing, borrowing.  >8)  Can
we talk about an issue which is significant in at least one of Kate's
songs without foaming at the mouth.

And in closing, no, I can't prove that Kate is into the occult.
But then, you can't prove that she isn't.
--
RobH (or Rob Henderson, if you prefer) / robh@grex.cyberspace.org
She gotta dance, and she just can't stop 'till them shoes come off. (Kate Bush)