Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-51 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Rhodes' Equipoise question (no flames, please)

From: neile@u.washington.edu (Neile Graham)
Date: 9 Dec 1993 17:57:26 GMT
Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes' Equipoise question (no flames, please)
To: rec-music-gaffa@cs.washington.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.u.washington.edu

In article <34043@mindlink.bc.ca>,
Damon Harper <Damon_Harper@mindlink.bc.ca> wrote:
>  Hello... went out looking for a Happy Rhodes CD for a christmas present for
>a friend (actually, *I* want to hear her music, and this way, if I don't like
>it, *I'm* not stuck with it ;-> ).  The only album I could find was
>Equipoise... I love the cover, but where does this album rank on the Happy
>scale?  (i.e. is it a "good" introduction to her music?... better be good, it
>was a ridiculous price)  Thanks for any replies.

Yes, it actually is a good introduction to her music.  It is her most
recent full album--the only once more recent is _RhodeSongs_ which is a
compilation from earlier albums with a few acoustic versions of earlier
songs & a great acoustic cover of Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes", and one new
song, "Summer".

The first Happy Rhodes album I heard was _Warpaint_, which is an
incredible album and also a good introduction to her and has
remained my favourite, probably because I heard it first, but I
still love _Equipoise_.

_Equipoise_ is a balance of slightly more pop songs, e.g. ("Runners") and
some darker songs ("Closer"), and some "weird" songs ("Cohabitants") and
overall is a powerful mix.  My favourite songs are "The Flight," a song
about a vampire, "Out Like a Lamb" "Closer" and "I Say", but they're all
good and all will grow on you.  She has the most amazing voice with
bright highs and rich lows which can swoop all the way in between.

I envy you and your friend discovering her for the first time.

--Neile
neile@u.washington.edu