Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Bjork :-d

From: bakker@cs.uq.oz.au (Paultje Bakker)
Date: 7 Dec 93 00:48:58 GMT
Subject: Re: More Bjork :-d
To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.oz.au
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.uq.oz.au

In article <2doat9$k3r@finch.doc.ic.ac.uk> sk2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon Kinsella) writes:

>>Bjork was singing live on Top of the Pops (A long running, long in the tooth
>>British pop programme) last night and she was amazing (IMHO). She sounded much
>>better than on the single, and looked better than on the video. Love the
>>eyebrows. She must be stunning in concert. Anyone able to confirm this?

Hopefully I will be able to soon, because Bjoerk IS COMING TO QUEENSLAND!
..to perform in a Big Day Out concert at Southport.

BTW I am amazed to see professional Kate fans here criticise Bjoerk for
1. screeching, unusual vocals
2.  being ugly

1. I have Bjoerk's debut album, and nary is there a moment where her voice
cracks or screeches. I find it quite pleasant, and most fascinating to listen
to....and this despite finding some of Kate Bush's `heavier' moments
unlistenable, like that bellowing `Ee-yore' on The Dreaming, and some of the
other screeching and improvisation she does on fadeouts. I have tender
ears.

2. I'm not sure if Bjoerk is ugly or not (the cover photo obscures most of
her face - is there a reason for this?) but it hardly matters, as many
people have already pointed out. Just as I suspected, some of the Kate
fans here are of the fair-weather variety, appreciating her mainly for her
dark good looks. Where will they be in 10 years time when the ravages of
smoking and the middle-age spread take their toll, hmm?

charlatans!

Paultje

--
Paul Bakker  bakker@cs.uq.oz.au | The lion and the calf shall
Computer Science Dept.          | lie down together but the