Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Is Kate goofy?

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 20:10:26 EST
Subject: Re: Is Kate goofy?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hiya,

In rec.music.gaffa (Stev0) writes:

>In the past, Kate has songs that either mention or are heavily influenced
>by - how should I put it - weirdos.  Gurdjieff, Reich, "Strange Phenomena",
>etc.  And now apparently "Lily" is based on something by the biggest
>weirdo of all, Alister Crowley.

I agree, major weirdos all, but...

>My question:  Does Kate actually BELIEVE this stuff?  Or does she just think
>it's a good basis for a song?  I mean, I don't believe in Orogones any
>more than I do, say, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or God, yet I think
>"Cloudbusting" is a great song.  Is that how Kate looks at it?  Or is
>she goofy?  (Unfortunately, all evidence points this way, yet there is
>always hope...)

Like all weirdos, Reich & Co. occasionally incorporate interesting
thoughts and observances. It just seems to me that Kate is able to
pick up on some of these ideas and incorporates them into her songs.
She probably does have some beliefs that are unusual (whatever "usual"
and "unusual" mean) but from what I've gathered from lots of interviews
is that she doesn't actually follow/believe/subscribe to all the things
she writes about, but she finds the notions interesting. That's what I
think, anyway.

So, what's up with your Kate mousepad?

>"The Happy Fandom has no right to bitch."  - Motto of Happy Rhodes fanclub

:-) that's just about right.

Vickie