Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-49 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bjork :-(

From: sk2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon Kinsella)
Date: 1 Dec 1993 17:00:14 -0000
Subject: Re: Bjork :-(
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

<sk2@doc.ic.ac.uk.> writes:
>> Any thoughts?

and Marcel replies:
>OK you asked for it.

[stuff deleted]

>> I was just wondering what people here thought of Bjork. I bought
>> Debut a couple of weeks ago and after some initial reservations
>> I now think it is brilliant. Her voice is certainly not
>> technically perfect, but I love it all the more for that reason.
>> I used to *hate* Play Dead (on the radio) but now I think it is
>> simply amazing (the lyrics... ). I could go on, but I won't since
>> you are probably wanting to read a more Kate-esque post ;-)

Maybe you are in the "initial reservations" phase mentioned above.
In the early days I would turn the radio off whenever she came on.
Give it time...

[bumpf deleted]

>What do I think of Bjork. Hummmm, let's see...
>She looks like a pig,

Is this relevent? I always assumed she was singer, not  a cover girl.
I must be mistaken. (Besides, I have seen unflattering pics of KT
before, but this has NO influence on my appreciation of her music).
Should it?

>her voice is like tonal diarrhoea and her
>music (if one should call it that) is undescribably irritating.
>Her voice being " not technically perfect" is something I could
>live with, were it not for the shrill, high-pitched, a-musical
>noise it produces. I mean, it's like hearing an F16 flying up into
>the air (and believe me, _that's_ not a pretty sound).
>As for "the lyrics...", they consist of commonplaces and semi-
>intellectual blob.

If I was her I would be very flattered that I had managed to excite
such violent emotion.  Better than being bland, don't you think?

>I think Bjork (a name, BTW which reminds me of pigs, which is very
>appropriate given her aforementioned exterior)

what's with your preoccupation for appearences. Are you *that* shallow?

>is one of the most ...[misc ranting deleted]...

>and I wouldn't mind her losing her voice
>permanently as of today. (I would have typed "shot dead", but I'm
>a pascifist :-) )
   ^^^^^^^^^
you surprise me.

>I hope this ends the talk about this tart on this list as of now.
				      ^^^^
I must say I am very impressed by your ability to determine that
she is a prostitute, or at the least sexually immoral (OED) apparently
on the basis of her appearences and songs. I wish I was as astute as you.

>Move it to the list that mudheap belongs to, thankyewverymuch.
>Marcel Rijs.

>Don't flame me now, The question _was_ :
>> I was just wondering what people here thought of B

Maybe I was after some more considered thought.
Mind you, I must thank you for giving me a good laff during my dull lab
session :-)

><Too sick for a sig>
Hope you feel better soon ;-)

Simon Kinsella (sk2@doc.ic.ac.uk) aka Mr Throat-Wobbler Mangrove. (TWM)
WORK:  Department of Computing, Imperial College, London.
HOME:  202b Queenstown Road, Battersea, London, SW8 3NR.   071-627-2451
--Yes, well that's just the sort of blinkered, philistine pig-ignorance I've
  come to expect from you non-creative piece of garbage.   -   MP