Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More Flamebait (Sizzle)

From: jzitt@wixer.bga.com (Joe Zitt)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1993 01:46:26 GMT
Subject: Re: More Flamebait (Sizzle)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.05.9311231216.N16638-c100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca> fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:

>Why, when Kate writes such "personal" songs, does she get all huffy
>in interviews when interviewers ask her about them?

As a published writer myself, I can see where Kate's coming from.
Songs, like short stories, are essentially fictions. While they may be
inspired by one's real life, they take on a completely different
context when published. While the writer may feel comfortable
revealing what little is visible through the song, the further details
may be less comfortable. She may also do so to avoid casting a public
light on another, nonpublic person. Imagine, for example, that Suzanne
Vega's "Luka" was the true story of someone close to her (maybe it is;
I don't know). While she might be justified in turning into a song
with the identifying details removed, would she be fair to the child
in announcing his name in the public media?
--
Joe Zitt	jzitt@wixer.bga.com	metatron!joe@dogface.austin.tx.us
Metatron Press / Human Systems Performance Group / Heart of Texas Havurah