Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: thecrow@eskimo.com (The Crow)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 15:46:48 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: thecrow@eskimo.com (The Crow)
Subject: Re: who is Ken ?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 23:46:27 GMT

In article <m0p0REm-000ADuC@zoodle.robin.de> uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel) writes:
>Another new addition to the FAQ:
>
>     Ken
>     The Confrontation
>     One Last Look Around The House Before We Go
>        These three peaces appeared in the soundtrack to the half hour
>        British TV programme "The Comic Strip Presents... G.L.C". GLC
>        stands for Greater London Council, and Ken is the main person in the
>        film - he (successfully or not? Watch the film!) tries to win over
>        the previous head of the GLC, a Thatcheresque lady...

	Ahem. Slight corrections...

	The GLC was indeed the Greater London Council, and the Ken of
the TV programme was Robbie Coltrane, playing Charles Bronson, as
'Red' Ken Livingstone, who was - as the song 'Ken' reminds us - the
leader of the GLC.  'Red', that is, as referring to his hard-left
policies.  The 'Thatcheresque lady' was supposed to be the 'Iron Lady'
herself, ie, Margaret Thatcher; Ken wasn't trying to win her over,
though - if anything, he was fighting against her.  As a note, Lady
Thatcher was never a part of the GLC, let alone its head; it was her -
as Prime Minister - that was part of its being wound up.

	Cheers,
		The Crow.