Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: This Woman's Work (Boxed Set)

From: "Ottis R." <BOYD@unb.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 13:21:30 GMT
Subject: RE: This Woman's Work (Boxed Set)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@unb.ca

In article <32883@mindlink.bc.ca> Damon_Harper@mindlink.bc.ca (Damon Harper) writes:
>Has anyone bought the "This Woman's Work" 1979-1990 boxed set yet?

   Yes.

> What I'm really wondering is, does it contain
>comprehensive information (lyrics, history, etc)...

  No.  It has comprehensive information for THE KICK INSIDE,
LIONHEART, and HOUNDS OF LOVE, but the other three albums only
contain the front cover, a tiny bit of information inside, and the
track list on the back.  Annoying for "personnel freaks" like me.
  There is also a booklet containing pictures (out-takes) from
various stages in KaTe's career.  Very nice.

> and are the CDs
>themselves in the original album covers, with the original booklets (I just
>like to think I'll be getting the "real thing")?

  No -- of all the albums in the box, only LIONHEART and HoL are in
the original and complete format.  TKI has the new cover (KaTe in
her box), but has the rest of the cover as per the original (I like
the old art better, myself).

> Apparently it contains
>b-sides and other such things... is this inclusion complete?

What do you mean by complete?  It doesn't contain all the b-sides,
alternate takes and unreleased songs she's ever done; but it does
have 29 things that it might be difficult to find elsewhere if you
haven't been collecting since 1977.

> ARGH!  Should I
>or should I not splurge and buy this thing???!?!?!?!?

I did -- but I already had all six of the albums and a couple of
singles.  Recommendation: find someone who has the vinyl or tape (or
even the CDs) and get them to let you listen to them a few times
before you decide that you want to fork out $125 or more for the box.
That way you won't be disappointed AND poor if your budding fandom
should happen to lapse on a few of the albums.  If you already know
and love a significant proportion of KaTe's work, but haven't got
any in your collection, then I'd say Go For It.      -- Ottis