Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kirsty MacColl

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 93 8:26:46 EST
Subject: Kirsty MacColl
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

I was able to interview Kirsty MacColl last Saturday. It wasn't a
full-blown q&a interview, because she wasn't feeling well, but she
was willing to talk for a few minutes about some of her songs and
I thought there might be Kirsty fans who would be interested in
this. It's short. (Sorry to Ectophiles who got this version *and*
the unedited version, having to see it again)

++ Kirsty edited version ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kirsty MacColl  Saturday 11-20-93

The Park West, Chicago, IL
Opening act: David Grey

K: Kirsty
V: Vickie

K: Hello this is Kirsty MacColl and you're listening to Suspended
   In Gaffa.

K: Hello, I'm Kirsty MacColl and you're about to listen to a song
   called Bad, which is, strangely enough, about a very frustrated
   woman who just wants to get her hands on a carving knife but she
   hasn't so far so let's hope that sense prevails, ok?

K: Hello, this is Kirsty MacColl and just as a change from my usual
   bitter and twisted songs, I'd like to send you some Christmas
   greetings with a song called Angel, which is supposed to make
   you feel good and I hope there's one floating around your house.

K: Hi this is Kirsty MacColl and I'd like to explain to you what
   a cowboy is in England. It's not just a typical cowboy like you
   see on westerns, a cowboy in England is a term used for people who
   are faking their job. It's actually used about builder's merchants
   quite a lot, people who can say "Yes, we'll come in and fix your
   dry rot, no problem at all" and they don't know anything what they're
   talking about, so that's really kind of why I've used the word cowboy
   on this song. It's called Don't Come The Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim.

K: Hello, this is Kirsty MacColl and you're about to hear a song
   called He Never Mentioned Love, which, I think I wrote it about
   a generic man in my life who just, you know you get relationships
   with people and they always sort of seem to think things will just
   tag along and then, they never actually say anything that gives you
   any reason to believe there's something deeper to hang onto, so,
   hold onto your seats, it's a bumpy ride!

K: Fifteen Minutes is obviously a title that was coined by Andy Worhol,
   suggesting that in the future, at some point, everybody would get
   their 15 minutes of fame because of television, but I've seen an
   awful lot of very sort of phony psuedo-celebrities who've made more
   than 15 minutes out of their alloted time and have managed to kiss
   and tell their way through the old payola system and it's pretty
   disgusting, but you don't have to do it like that.

V: Is your first album ever going to be re-released?

K: Desperate Character? I don't know

V: It's the only one I haven't heard

K: Well, it's not great. I mean, some of it's alright but it was
   alright because I was 19 when I did it but you know, I don't
   have the pride in it that I have with about, with this (Titanic
   Days) or Kite you know, but then there is some good stuff on it.
   IRS are re-releasing this and Kite in January, and they're also
   gonna have a compilation album that's gonna have all the singles
   that weren't on any of that stuff, so there's loads of singles,
   songs like He's On The Beach, there's a lot of good singles that
   were never on albums, like They Don't Know, New England and Chip
   Shop and tons of stuff. There'll be a couple of new tracks on it
   as well.