Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HoL Questions

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 09:20 MET
Subject: Re: HoL Questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

> I was listening to the previous Kate albums in preparation for buying
> TRS, and I realized I have a few questions about Hounds of Love (forgive
> me if these are FAQs, but I haven't seen the FAQ file for a while):

Some of them are FAQs, but I only now started to include them in the next
edition of the FAQ that will be posted in about a week (and I'll try to
crosspost it to rec.music.info, rec.answers and news.answers).

> 1.  Does anyone have the words for the spoken part at the end of Jig of Life?

Yes we have. From ftp.uu.net:/usenet/rec.music.gaffa/kb/lyrics/most-lyrics.ied:
(just slightly formatted ;-) )

    Jig of Life
    ___________

        [What follows is a newly revised  transcription  of  the
    lyrics  of _Jig of Life_. I have arranged the lines with the
    double (and sometimes,  unfortunately,  mutually  exclusive)
    intention  of indicating (primarily) distinct characters and
    (secondarily) channel placement.    I  have  also  tried  to
    maximize the narrative logic of the words, without forsaking
    the  poetical  presentation  (capitals beginning each line).
    This, too, is a sometimes impossible combination of aims. In
    both cases, some personal interpretation  is  required.  For
    example,  I  have decided that the section beginning with "I
    put this moment...here" is begun by the young _woman_,  more
    or less "testing" her "old" incarnation's assertion,  as  it
    were.  This  may be disputed by others.  (I put the heroine,
    without quotation marks, at the far left; her future self at
    the next indent; and the other  voices  farther  right.)  As
    for  the identity of the male voice saying "she said" in one
    section, or that of the "sort of Irish"-accented male  voice
    (actually the voice of John Carder Bush, who wrote this part
    of  the  lyrics)--I have no idea. Finally, divisions between
    "verses", or sections--only one of which is indicated in the
    official lyrics--were improvised by me, based  upon  changes
    in the music.]

               Hello, old lady.
               I know your face well.
               I know it well.

               She says,
                    "Ooh-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na!
                     I'll be sitting in your mirror.
                     Now is the place where the crossroads meet.
                     Will you look into the future?

                    "Never, never say goodbye
                     To my part of your life.
                     No, no, no, no, no!
                     Oh, oh, oh,

                    "Let me live!"
               She said.
                    "C'mon and let me live, girl!"
               She said,
                    "C'mon and let me live, girl!"
                                       ("C'mon and let me live!")

                    "This moment in time,"

              (She said.)
                     It doesn't belong to you,"

              (She said,)
                     It belongs to me,

                    "And to your little boy and to your little girl,
                     And the one hand clapping:
                     Where on your palm is my little line,
                     When you're written in mine
                     As an old memory?
                     Ooh, na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-

                    "Never, never say goodbye
                     To my part of your life.
                     Oh no, no, no, no, no!
                     Never, never, never!
                     Never, never let me go!"

               She said,
                    "C'mon and let me live, girl!'
                                       ("C'mon and let me live!")
               She said,
                    "C'mon and let me live, girl!"
                                       ("C'mon and let me live!")

                     I                   put                 this
                     moment........................................here.
                     I put this moment......................here.
                     I put this moment--

                                              "Over here!
                               "Over here!

                          Can't you see where memories are kept bright?
                          Tripping  on the water like a laughing girl.
                          Time in her eyes is spawning past light,
                          One when the ocean and the woman unfurled,
                          Holding _all_the_love_ that waits for you here.
                          Catch us now for I _am_ your future.
                          A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land.
                          Come over here to where When lingers,
                          Waiting in this empty world,
                          Waiting for Then, when the lifespray cools.
                          For Now _does_ ride in on the curl of the wave,
                          And you _will_ dance with me in the sunlit pools.
                          We are of the going water and the gone.
                          We are of water in the holy land of water
                          And all that's to come runs in
                          With the thrust on the strand."

> 2.  Can anyone recommend other music or musicians that have
>     the same general "feel" as Jig of Life?

As it was said before you should ask in rec.music.celtic.

> 3.  Is Cloudbusting based on an actual historical event?

Yes it is. Sneak preview of the FAQ:

     Cloudbusting:
        This is based on Peter Reich's book "A Book Of Dreams" (you can see
        this book in the video, in Donald Sutherland's pocket). Peter writes
        about his experience in his youth, when Wilhelm Reich (his father)
        got problems with the government due to his questionable actions as a
        scientist. Wilhelm got arrested and died while in prison, and this
        experience later made the then-9-years-old Peter write "A Book Of
        Dreams". More about Wilhelm Reich can be found in the file
        ftp.uu.net:/usenet/rec.music.gaffa/kb/reich.

Bye,

Uli