Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CRITICISM:TRS panned by Balt. Sun

From: UK04160@ukpr.uky.edu
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 18:51:20 EST
Subject: CRITICISM:TRS panned by Balt. Sun
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

For those who care about published reviews only:

I've finally encountered a bad review of TRS. To keep our transcriptions
of reviews fair, here it is:

KATE BUSH: The Red Shoes * 1/2

        Even though it generally takes four years for Kate Bush to
put an album together, what results is usually worth the wait. So why
does THE RED SHOES seem such a misstep? It isn't as if Bush has lost
her knack for odd-but-catchy pop songs. The title tune spins its
slightly circular theme into wonderful, ear-catching arabesques.
        But too many of these songs lead nowhere, relying more on
flashy production and high-profile guests than on melodic inspiration.

                                -J.D. Considine, The Baltimore Sun

Of course, the "melodic inspiration" bit comes from a guy who praises
Def Leppard and Madonna for their melodic abilities and gives
HYSTERIA 5 stars (his jazz reviews are pretty accurate though,
so I don't think he's a completely tone deaf). Anyway, J.D.C also
did the Kate review for Rolling Stone's RECORD GUIDE...here's how
he rates her other work:

THE KICK INSIDE  ** 1/2
LIONHEART  **
NEVER FOR EVER ** 1/2