Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: And I don't mind if it's dangerous...

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 08:34:02 -0700
Subject: Re: And I don't mind if it's dangerous...
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu

Jon Drukman writes:
> WretchAwry@pilot.njin.net writes:
> >pppps, it's a JOKE, ok?
>
> so why wasn't it FUNNY?

Here's how I replied to it elsewhere two days ago:

WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>:
> Well, I'm *deeply* impressionable, and I don't know *what* I think
> until I hear other people's opinions. I see the light through
> other people, and I know now that:
>
> ETM and Rubberband Girl suck big hairy rocks
> The title track is pretty darn good, I think. Maybe.
>
> Oh yeah, and I now know that TSW is Kate's biggest dissappointment to
> date, that "Reaching Out" is the worst song ever recorded, and that
> "Experment IV," "Rocket Man," and "Candle in The Wind" make me cringe.
>
> Gee, maybe now I can be a *real* Love-Hound!! A *real* Katefan! WOW!!

*LAUGH*!  That is the mood I get there [here].
> pppps, It's a joke. Other people's opinions aren't going to change my
> own. I nod my head when I read things I agree with, snort with derision
> when I read things I disagree with, absorb bits and pieces that may
> help me appreciate certain songs better, and delete or save opinions

I think the most useful discussions are those that provide insight
into references, and hence allow the individual to dig deeper into the
song if they want to.  Interpretations of songs are fun to discuss as
well, but are more subjective.  Feelings about songs are just plain
subjective and it gets tiring hearing arguments over how someone
should feel about a song.  Feelings aren't right or wrong, they just
are.  Stating how one feels about a song is fine, but expecting others
to agree is silly.

[This was not written in response to Jon Drukman.  It was written before.]
---
AlexGibbs arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu |\| | (~, |-| ~|~ |-| /-\ \/\/ |<
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
 foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." <Douglas Adams
"Without the pain there'd be no learning.              \ / Constellation of the
 Without the hurting we'd never change."               / \  Heart  <Kate Bush>
"Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing? Mmm, do   \   Why Should I
 you think He had a beautiful smile?  A smile that healed."  \  Love You?