Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Song of Solomon

From: chappell@vax.ox.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 12:30:57 +0000
Subject: Song of Solomon
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Sender: chappell@vax.ox.ac.uk

From: chappell@vax.oxford.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 12 Nov 93 12:30:35 GMT

	I'm new to this newsgroup, so you'll have to forgive me if I've must
some vital discussions. However, it seems that in all the discussion of TRS,
not much has been said about "The Song of Solomon".
	Personally, this is one of my favourite tracks. The lines "Don't want
your bullshit/Just want your sexuality", sound like they're straight from
Prince. In one of his songs they would just sound trite and unecessary, but in
the context of the other lyrics, I find them quite moving. The whole song seems
to be a yearning lament from a woman who is sick of those men who don't GIVE em
otionally, hiding their true and tender sides with a load of macho bullshit.
	The part where the angelic Trio Bulgarka come in where Kate sings about
what she'd do for a man who would actually open up, makes the hair on the back
of my neck stand up!
	Incidentally, I think the lament about men being afraid to show their
emotional side is echoed on othe tracks: f'rinstance on "Eat The Music" (which
is growing on me) - .."not only women bleed" etc...

	I wasn't too sure about TRS at first, but it grows on you hugely with
listening.

Jackie.