Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS Tracklist

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 21:58:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: TRS Tracklist
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM> replies to my suggestion that the track order for
Side B of TRS suggested by the UK lyric sheets reflects Kate's original
intention:

>             ...     I vehemently disagree with this.  I think, musically,
>the tracks as they are ordered on the CD are in perfect arrangement.  I can
>see there is an argument for the lyrics making more sense in the lyric sheet
>order, but this is completely outweighed by the musical sense, IMHO.

He provides a very telling (but not, in my view, decisive) illustration of
this last consideration, but I need to take a point he makes later first
because the physical evidence is actually more ambiguous than I had realized
when I posted.

>My personal opinion is that the lyrics are arranged on the lyric sheet the
>way they are simply because they wouldn't have fit the space in a pleasing
>manner if they had been in the proper order (and I'm not going to believe
>that Kate had more control over the lyric sheet than she did over the track
>order on CD).

I hadn't meant to suggest that Kate did not control the final track order--of
course she did, and in that sense it is certainly authoritative.  My argument
was that the track order on the album slipcover suggested that at one stage
she had had a different order in mind, and was talked into the one released
by marketing considerations.  I would never have entertained such an idea for
an instant if we hadn't learned through Del Palmer that something precisely
like that happened with RBG as the first UK single, rather than EtM which she
preferred.  And I should add that even if another order was once contemplated
this one clearly must have things in its favor, too.

Obviously my whole argument depends on the premise that the order in which
the lyrics are arranged on the slipcover is meant to correspond to the
playing sequence.  It certainly looks that way, since the Side A lyrics are
in six black boxes across the top, in playing sequence, and the Side B lyrics
are in six black boxes below them, in playing sequence except for the
reversed positions of YtO and CotH.  Craig is right that in the particular
format of the design, the lyrics box for CotH wouldn't fit under the box for
EtM that would be above it.  I would answer that the design could be adapted
in all sorts of ways to work around that, and why arrange the lyrics in two
sets of six that match the album contents exactly (except for the one switch)
in the first place, if you don't intend people to assume that they follow the
playlist?

BUT! I now see that the order of the Side B lyrics on the UK CD foldout
(which folds out to be 12 times larger and has the background fruit in color,
as against the US which is only 8 times larger, on thinner stock, and with
the background in black and white) is completely different from the album
itself:  YtO, WSILY?, BSL, TotC, TRS, and CotH (the Side A songs, once again,
are in correct order).  I cannot imagine defending this as a playing
sequence, lyrically or musically.  Moreover, it is evident that the order in
which the Side B lyrics have been placed is indeed chosen to maximize the use
of space, with the longest (CotH) placed under the shortest for Side A
("Lily"), the shortest (BSL) under the longest (EtM), and so on.  In
addition, the album jacket itself prints the tracklist on the back in the
same order as the disk.  (And finally, if it is relevant, the lyrics for the
US CD are in three rows of four each, in an order that has nothing whatever
to do with the album order, not even the contents of each side--which both of
the UK lyrics sheets respect.)

Is my suggestion dead?  Maybe not.  Since the layout of the Side B tracks for
the UK CD foldout does maximize the use of space, the layout used for the
lyrics on the album slipcover does not, forcing the font to be ever so
slightly smaller than it needs to be--but that is almost illegibly small.  So
there is still a little room to argue that it is intentional.

I willingly admit, however, that I lept from one piece of physical evidence
whose ambiguity I did not fully assess to a suggestion about artistic
intention mainly because the playing sequence I described seemed like a
revelation to me--certainly lyrically, where Craig sees some plausibility
himself--but also musically.  He writes:

>The decider for me is "You're the One", which _absolutely_has_ to be last,
>because of the "Whiter Shade of Pale" references (using Gary Brooker, "Doing
>cartwheels 'cross the floor", etc.)  These are 70s references (I know WSoP
>was 1967, but it didn't impinge on me until the 70s), and at any party I
>went to in the 70s, no one would have even considered playing WSoP anything
>other than last.

This is an excellent argument, very important for exploring this album, which
is chock full of musical allusions of this kind.  I agree completely that at
the end of "You're the One," some larger ending is marked, too, with the WSoP
tonality working just as he describes.  But that fits exactly into the way I
perceive "Big Stripey Lie," as marking a new beginning, moving through grief
and pain to dismisal, and it amplifies the meaning of the start of TotC,
"This chapter says, 'Put it out of your mind'."  And CotH still sounds to me
like a natural album-ender, its funky upbeat made ironic by the lyrics, and
the little gizmo in the trail-off seeming like a kb 'signature' (listen to
the last time that the chorus can be heard singing the line that previously
is "it's gonna be paradise" and see if you can hear what they say instead of
"paradise").

Bottom line:  having thought this through once more, I think Craig's chances
of being right are about 87%, mine about 13%.  The wonderful thing is that of
course it is a matter of simple fact what, if anything, the order of the
lyrics for Side B on the record sleeve is meant to signify--we just don't
happen to know yet.  I will therefore cling for the time being to my tattered
but still pleasing hypothesis.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Eat the Music!"                        pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                     72020.366@compuserv.com