Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Track Order, Radio Ads, F.M. interview

From: Craig Heath <craig@sco.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 2:57:09 GMT
Subject: Track Order, Radio Ads, F.M. interview
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1993 01:02:44 -0500 (EST)
> From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>

> I very strongly suggest programming your CD player to play the songs in this
> [lyric sheet] sequence, ...

> This is so clearly the artist's intention that I'm not even going to take
> time to comment on it now...

I was trying not to post this, but this has pushed me over the edge.  I
vehemently disagree with this.  I think, musically, the tracks as they are
ordered on the CD are in perfect arrangement.  I can see there is an argument
for the lyrics making more sense in the lyric sheet order, but this is
completely outweighed by the musical sense, IMHO.  The decider for me is
"You're the One", which _absolutely_has_ to be last, because of the "Whiter
Shade of Pale" references (using Gary Brooker, "Doing cartwheels 'cross the
floor", etc.)  These are 70s references (I know WSoP was 1967, but it didn't
impinge on me until the 70s), and at any party I went to in the 70s, noone
would have even considered playing WSoP anything other than last.

My personal opinion is that the lyrics are arranged on the lyric sheet the
way they are simply because they wouldn't have fit the space in a pleasing
manner if they had been in the proper order (and I'm not going to believe
that Kate had more control over the lyric sheet than she did over the
track order on CD).

> The album can't end with "You're the One," because then it would be lyrically
> completely disconsolate ...

I agree, but that's the way it is, _if_ you just read the lyric sheet.  I
think the musical references transform the lyrics substantially.  I have my
own ideas on this, but I'm afraid I can't share them with the list, because
they're too personal.

[I wrote:]
> > Looks like all that radio advertising on Capital last week paid
> > some dividends!

> Tell us more about this (Capital's kinda difficult to pick up 400
> miles away 8-)

Truth be told, I don't remember it word-for-word, but it was quite short,
frequently repeated (I must have heard it half-a-dozen times), and along
the lines of "If you only buy one album in 1993, buy The Red Shoes by
Kate Bush" with short excerpts from RBG and MoP.  I think I heard the
ad during the morning programmes, but there was also a Red Shoes competition
in the early evening "drive time" show every day (I only caught it once)
where you could win the shoe box, and the grand prize was a trip to
Boston, MA (because of the "Red Sox", oh dear!)  I think they must have
played at least one album track each day as part of this (I caught
WSILY).

[The Future Music interview with Del:]
> Yes, you must have missed it.

Right, I found it not long after I posted.  Did anyone else worry about
Del calling himself the album's producer, when he clearly isn't credited
as such on the album?

			- Craig.