Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS gets better/how to enjoyETM

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1993 07:00:26 -0700
Subject: Re: TRS gets better/how to enjoyETM
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM (Mike Mendelson) writes:

> to like it more and more.  I'd have to agree with Vickie... I don't know
> how people can be so sure of their opinions after such a short
> listening span.  I'm also really tempted to post a song-by-song
> commentary but until I can hear each song distinctly in my
> brain without tuning on my CD player, I don't feel qualified.

I agree.  I don't understand it either, especially when we are talking
about an artist whose music is complex, unpredictable, and changing.
(Think of past albums, not just TRS.)  I couldn't believe someone said
they were giving up on Kate after hearing only one single from the
album (before the album was out).  I don't know how they got this far.

I personally can't get into this song-by-song analysis, at least not
at this stage.  I think it's because I'm still forming my own opinions
or maybe because I'm obsessive enough without doing that!  :) I'm not
sure.  Maybe it's because I know we will all feel differently anyway.
Also, something about dissecting it into pieces and actually grading
the pieces sort of bugs me.  Am I alone in this?

However, I do find the discussions about what Kate is referring to and
background information interesting, and perhaps some of the various
interpretations too.  They add to my own interpretation and feeling of
the album.
---
Alex Gibbs   arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu
"Without the pain there'd be no learning.              \ / Constellation of the
 Without the hurting we'd never change."               /`\  Heart  <Kate Bush>
"Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing? Mmm, do  `\   Why Should I
 you think He had a beautiful smile?  A smile that healed." `\  Love You?