Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TRS gets better/how to enjoyETM

From: Mike Mendelson <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 Nov 93 11:56:42 EST
Subject: TRS gets better/how to enjoyETM
To: <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

I've been listening to TRS over the weekend and I'm starting
to like it more and more.  I'd have to agree with Vickie... I don't know
how people can be so sure of their opinions after such a short
listening span.  I'm also really tempted to post a song-by-song
commentary but until I can hear each song distinctly in my
brain without tuning on my CD player, I don't feel qualified.

I will say something about Eat the Music, however, which has
gotten lots of bashing.  I'll admit that the basic musical tenant
of the song is very simple, but the interesting thing to me
is 1) Kate's vocals, and moreover 2) the pattern of backing vocals.
Listen carefully to how the call and response works.

Split me open   / oo oo oooaaa ooo
blah blah blah blah / oo oo oooaaaa ooo
ditty dit dit / ooaa oooaaoo ooo
etc.

These littles responses (the BV ooo aaa ooo's) change
slightly every other time or so, and I find that if I listen closely
to these they reflect great musical thinking.  How did she decide
how to move the ooos up or down this time or that time.
This is very subtle, but if you listen carefully you will see
how these ooo's are the genius in this song.  They take a
simple melody and make it move and sway and focus.
I don't care how much you hate the song.  Just give it a listen
and concentrate on the call and response of Kate's voice
interacting with the BVs.  I find this fascinating every time.
Also, if you try and predict what the next oooo will be,
you be wrong most of the time.

-mjm