Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Trio Bulgarka's wailing

From: zeus!cah@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Allen Halsell)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 16:41:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Trio Bulgarka's wailing
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9311090707.AA09017@pilot.njin.net> vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes) writes:
>agough@sedona.intel.com (Andy Gough) writes, wrt HoL:
>
>>Agreed.  Amazingly consistent quality.  The only weak song is "Mother Stands
>>For Comfort."
>
>I definitely disagree. IMHO, it's a strong and chillingly powerful song.

Ditto.

>>All's they usually do is contribute an annoying, loud, high-pitching, wailing
>>sound in the background.  Especially on TSW (all songs in which they appear).

Well, to be blunt, I'm sure they didn't decide what to sing.  If Kate
misuses them (which is often) then it's not their fault.

>>If so, okay then, I just don't like what they do, but I can agree that they
>>wail with the best of 'em.
>
>It can sound alien, especially the way Kate uses their voices. TB's album
>"The Forest Is Crying" is (so I've heard) quite hard to find now, but if
>you ever see Le Mystere des voix Bulgares' first album, just called
>"Vol. 1" I believe, I highly recommend it. It's strange and beautiful,
>and the Trio Bulgarka singers are on it. Hearing it may make you
>understand a bit better what traditional Bulgarian music, and the
>wailing singing style, is all about and you might appreciate what they
>do better. Or not...that style of music isn't eveyone's cup of tea.

True enough.  I took a good friend to a concert of the Bulgarian Women's
Choir and he was, well, practically revolted.  But the sounds are
awesome when heard _live_.  And I don't mean Beavis-and-Butthead-style
"awesome," I mean they send chills up your spine.  Say, do I get an award
for the first B&B reference on r.m.g?

I'm waiting for Kate to put the Trio Bulgarka and the Roches together
on backup ... if they really got started, they would destroy the eardrums
of thousands of dedicated fans.
--
Allen Halsell                               cah@zeus.jpl.nasa.gov