Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)

From: bj835@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tim Connors)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 15:25:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Wow, I was surprised to hear Andy Gough's views on the 3B:

I've read that Trio Bulgarka is supposed to be famous, but famous for what?

All's they usually do is contribute an annoying, loud, high-pitching, wailing
sound in the background.  Especially on TSW (all songs in which they appear).

END
QUOTE

I started to listening to Kate after Dreaming, so I had already
got used to her work before _TSW_ came out.  The backing vocals
by the Trio Bulgarka were like some beautiful radio message from
another planet.  The harmonies were unlike anything I had ever
heard, and I was instantly fascinated by them.  I guess I should
check out those "Mystere Voix de Bulgare" records, but I digress.
The harmonies were integrated flawlessly into her songs and
contributed to that sense one gets of dwelling in the Kate
Bush alternate universe since at least the Dreaming.  I've only
listened to _TRS_ once, I just got it yesterday, but I'm pleased
the 3B are on it.

Conversely, although I haven't heard Kate's version of
"Candle," I find it hard to imagine getting very excited about
some old Elton John song.  Chacun son gout, I guess.
--
TJC	"Surprisingly tasty..."
		The Jazz Butcher ("JB v. Prime Minister")

Internet: bj835@cleveland.freenet.edu