Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Big Stripy Interpretation

From: mojzes@tiger.vill.edu (brni)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1993 06:59:47 GMT
Subject: Re: Big Stripy Interpretation
Expires: Sat, 6 Nov 1993 05:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@vu-vlsi.ee.vill.edu

drukman, i dunno...

the first thing i thought of when i heard the title
"big stripey lie" was the united states of america.

nothing in the lyrics has led me to believe otherwise.

"only want to help you
 never want to hurt you
 i know i could be good for you"

could be seen as a personification of a theme that laurie
anderson mentioned:  "the US helps, *not* hurts, developing
nations by using their resources and raw materials" (or something
like that).  kate, as we well know from times past, is brilliant
at taking themes, whether political or social or mystical or
whatever, and putting a uniquely humanistic face on them.

this is, of course, only my very humble opinion, which is correct.

thank you for your patients
brni