Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Trio Bulgarka (was Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)

From: btshelp@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish)
Date: 9 Nov 1993 04:59 CST
Subject: Re: Trio Bulgarka (was Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0owgIq-000il2C@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu>,
chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes...

>   This music uses different structures than western vocal harmonies.
>I'm not knowledgeable about music theory, but I've read that they use
>3rds and 5ths.

2nds and 7ths.

3rds and 6ths are the dominant intervals for parallels in tonal harmony.
The favored Bulgarian intervals are "dissonances" to Western-trained ears.

Question: What is the title of the album that the Trio released on Ryko?
          I've lost my Ryko catalogue, and can't remember. It wasn't a
          reissue of "The Forest Is Crying," was it? I know that album
          was released on Hannibal, but I'm trying to find the Ryko one.

Unsolicited Opinion: the Trio ranks (in my mind) with Nusrat Fateh Ali
          Khan as true masters of the human voice. They never cease to
          astonish me.

b r e t t
--
Watch what you say about me or concerned citizens could show up at your
doorstep and throw thousands of tons of molten steel in your face.

						- Jay Paul Chawla