Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Trio Bulgarka (was Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 17:47 CST
Subject: Trio Bulgarka (was Re: Kate's downward spiral (long tirade)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2bfb00$82l@chnews.intel.com> you write:

>In article <2be7oe$6k2@bigguy.eng.ufl.edu>, greg@deming.eng.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) writes:
>
>> "The Sensual World" had its moments, but it just confirmed that Kate had lost
>> it.  She showed good taste in picking the Trio Bulgarka, but vocally, they
>> blew her out of the water (though there's some evidence of her trying their
>> technique on "Reaching Out", an otherwise unremarkable track).
>>

>I've read that Trio Bulgarka is supposed to be famous, but famous for what?
>
>All's they usually do is contribute an annoying, loud, high-pitching, wailing
>sound in the background.  Especially on TSW (all songs in which they appear).
>
>Serious question:  Are they famous for wailing like that?

   In a word, yes. The Trio Bukgarka is three Bulgarian women, Stoyanka
Boneva, Eva Georgeieva and the amazing Yanka Rupkina. They were
originally members of the Bulgarian State Women's Choir. An album
of Bulgarian choral music, "Le Mystre Des Voix Bulgares" was released
and became a sort of underground hit. Enough people with were bored
with western music to sell out several concert tours of the US.
   This music uses different structures than western vocal harmonies.
I'm not knowledgeable about music theory, but I've read that they use
3rds and 5ths. I guess it is something that you either like or not.
Personally, their vocals often move me to tears. Yanka in particular
is (IMO) one of the best singers on earth.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)