Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jane Siberry in Detroit

From: bilbo@cis.ohio-state.edu (William H Stoner III)
Date: 8 Nov 1993 11:37:31 -0500
Subject: Jane Siberry in Detroit
To: rec-music-gaffa@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jane Siberry at the GEM Theater in Detroit 11-6-93

If you get the chance go see her.  She is only playing
5 or 9 dates total (She said 5 the promoter said 9).

The theater: itself is a small renovated theater with
       	table seating on the main floor and a small
	balcony.  It looked like there were around 50
	tables total with 4 seats a table. So around
	200 folks in all.  very intimate.  It looked
	like there were two or three tables in the
	balcony that were empty but the place was
	wise full and sold out.

The stage: from left to right as you face the stage.
	a grand piano, a bar stool, a candalbra (sp),
	a chair (in the middle of the stage now), a VCR
	on the floor beside the chair, a large video
	screen takes up the est of the stage.

The show: Enter Jane she moves around the piano to the
	stool.  She tells us how the show grew out of a
	relese party she had at her place with close
	friends. She then begins to read from a 5 or 6 pg
	script.  A story, self penned and wonderful.

	She now acquires THE red guitar and moves to the
	chair center stage.  She plays and sings a new
	song, or at least one I've never heard.

	Placing the Gtr carefully on the floor she fiddles
	with a video tape and introduces _The Bird in the
	Gravel_.  She turns it off before the credits have
	finnished elicting some moans of disapproval.  She
	promises to let us see some credits at a point later
	in the evening.

	She plays another new song, I think, the order is a
	little cloudy now.  The song was unreleased however.

	More video.  She makes mention that the record company
	and she have not seen  eye to eye on the video front.
	They told her she couldn't make videos, she said she
	decided to make some on her own anyway.  She shows the
	video, her video for _An Angel Stepped Down_.

	Now a video joke, I won't give it away for the benefit
	of those who actually will get to see her.  I'll let
	them do it.  It was very well executed and funny.  She
	tells us that no one laughed in London.  Ooops!

	Move to the piano, she plays _Barcus is Willing_ slightly
	different than the version on the last tour.  She stumbles
	a bit on the ending saying she can't decide how to end the
	song.  Hopefully it will be recorded someday, I'm gald she
	hasn't given up on it.

	Question and Answer session.  Jane takes questions from
	the audience.  She adds that in London she had to ask
	herself questions because the audience didn't.  Ow, talk
	about a tough crowd.

	Another unheard song, maybe two, on gtr.

	Video for _Sail Across the Water_ with intro about the
	horros of filming it.  Look for Mimi at the very beginning.

	Plays _At the Beginning of Time_ just her and a guitar, it
	ends with a segue into a video bit with takes sound bits from
	various songs and merges them with quicky changing images.
	the video soundtrack fades out as Jane comes back in over top
	of it.  A very nice blend back to jane, the song ends, Jane
	leaves.

	We clap and applaud and clap and applaud and clap and applaud

	Jane returns thanks us, moves to the piano plays _Vigil_ leaves
	again.

	We clap and applaud and clap and applaud and clap and applaud

	Jane returns agains thanks us for coming out and tells us how
	much she enjoy spending the evening with us.  As we did with
	her.  The sense of time ticking on returns, the show is over.

IF you get the chance SEE this EVENT.  And if anyone tapes it please,
please, please get in touch with me.  I would love a copy.

--
"In order to preserve democracy 		|  William H. Stoner III
	oppressive action will be taken"	|  bilbo@cis.ohio-state.edu