Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She Really Is! Or Is She?

From: Tree of Schnopia <as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 11:11:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: She Really Is! Or Is She?
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)
Cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

"She Really Is!  So she just came out with a crap album...I'll love it
anyway, because She Really Is!"

Bullshit.

Are we really going to repeat this tired, sad war?  Are we really going to
have to listen to those who love the album sniping at those who don't, "you
haven't the capacity to enjoy it"?  Are we really going to have to listen to
those who hate the album sneering at those who don't, "you tasteless cretins
will drool over anything with KaTe on it"?

I sincerely hope not.  The snobbery on both sides is rude, condescending,
and, worst of all, true in only a select few cases.  TRS has been cycling
through my Walkman on the way to class, spinning in my stereo over and over.
I love it.  If forced to pick a favorite KaTe album, this would not be it.
I have enough objectivity to be able to look critically at what's being done
on the album and say, "this works, and this doesn't".

But horror of horrors...I didn't come to the same conclusions the
TRS-bashers did.  You all read my conclusions, and you know that I must have
coused some people to cringe or sneer when I said that I liked ETM and
WSILY.  I know I cringe when I see the advocacy of CotH repeated over and
over.  The difference here is that I don't post saying "you people who
liked CotH are fucked up!  You'll love anything she does, thinking 'there
must be something wrong with me!'".  Why would I do that?  Why would I post
something so blatantly assholish?

No.  Let's not repeat this ridiculous parade of KaTefans who feel the
barbaric need to take sides on everything and hurl insults at those in the
opposing trenches.  Where didn't you people learn that an opinion is an
opinion, that even the most objective critical process is nondeterministic?
It's not as if people must derive the same conclusion that you did (or as if
anything else would be illogical).

It's a new album.  Take it or leave it.  I don't care; I've got my copies
(yes, two, a cassette and a disc).  You can't shit all over me or mine; do
me a favor and stop trying.

Drewcifer, damn it