Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-44 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Got it! Got it!

From: trimm@netcom.com (Trimm Industries)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1993 00:52:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Got it! Got it!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:

>I really don't understand.
>Our local record stores (middle america, where Nothing Ever
>arrives) claim that it's "delayed indefinitely" still.
>Are these *imports* that people are buying?

Nah, Music Plus here had TRS for $7.99 in cassette and $11.99 in CD.

OK, my story for my first experience with TRS is in the running for
the Synchronicity Award.  We just had a series of huge and devastating
brush fires here in Southern California, and I was milling about at
one of the fire/police barricades trying to get in to see if my house
was still standing (I live in Topanga Canyon near Malibu), and while
I waited, I opened for the first time my cassette of TRS, and played it
in my Walkman for the very first time (I don't watch eMpTyVee and haven't
heard any of TRS previously).  The first song, Rubberband Girl, struck
me as damned appropriate for a lot of the Canyon residents waiting
beside me at the barricades - not even knowing if their homes are burned
or not, almost all were saying "well, if it's gone, we'll just rebuild
another house."  Talk about resiliance, and snapping back like a rubber
band.  They didn't even seem to broke up about it.  The common attitude
was that they had saved what was _really_ important - their loved ones.
You can always build another house and buy another sofa and another TV.
It ended up something like a subdued tailgate party, random people kept
showing up with pizza and beer, and we stayed at the barricade most of
the night, with me listening to TRS over and over.  A nice night, all
things considered.  Our area turned out to have been saved by the
superhuman efforts of the fire departments.

Well, that's my story for the first time listening to TRS.  I can
remember what I was doing when I first listened to each of her
records.  Can you?  Tell us about it.  I've heard some great stories
on this question...
--
Gary M. Watson
Trimm Industries                          Internet: trimm@netcom.com