Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TWO QUESTIONS :-dir/all

From: dambik@fnalo.fnal.gov (Ed Dambik)
Date: 2 Nov 93 12:18:14 -0600
Subject: Re: TWO QUESTIONS :-dir/all
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <01H4U7LF5DCYA24VV1@vaxc.hofstra.edu>, GEISENBERG1@vaxc.hofstra.edu writes:
> howdy!

Hey! (I'll assume for a minute that you didn't leave your terminal
logged in for some joker to write this stuff...)

> Just a couple of questions to ask from the Vila-meister.  First, could
> someone please tell me how the hell the Spin Doctors are "Alternative".

It's called marketing. You are what your record company says you are.

:
> My other question to you people is this: "Alternative." What the f*ck is up
> with this bloody term.  I mean sh*t, is there a group that isn't "Alternative"?
> Every time a group gains popularity, one of you freaks

'cuse me? MY freak days have long since past... (peace, man)

>slaps that label on them.

Any record execs in this group? Raise your hands. I thought not.

:
> I thought the term
> "Alternative", meant: Music that is an alternate to Pop, AOR (Album Oriented
> Rock, if you're playin' the home game). At first the term rung true, but now
> it's as overplayed as the Meatloaf viedo on VH1. Now, the true "Alternative",
> music is just good 'ol fashioned good music

There was always Mainstream/Top-40/Popular music and the "other stuff".
The other stuff has changed over the years - progressive, new-wave,
modern-rock, alternative, whatever. The simple fact is that each
of these branches in turn has been absorbed into the mainstream.
Right now, there is no name for the next wave.

> If "Alternative" music is about wearin' black, shavin' your head and piericing
> yourself so you can be noticed, I have a simple suggestion. GROW UP ALREADY!
> Deal with the fact that life sucks, move on with the fact, get a f*ck*n hobby
> and above all else GET A LIFE! You people get me so angry I could allow myself
> to watch "Thirty Something".

Pal, you have *definitely* landed in the wrong group. This group is primarily
devoted to one Kate Bush and whatever artists happen to strike her fans
fancy. We're talking about a *very* diverse group of people here but I
doubt many of us are bald, pierced, clad in black and dying for attention.
Now if you'd like to discuss Kate's new album, pull up a chair, otherwise,
the best place for this sort of rant is alt.music.alternative.

Happy trails,

The Other Ed