Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-42 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWO QUESTIONS :-dir/all

From: GEISENBERG1@vaxc.hofstra.edu
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1993 11:47:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: TWO QUESTIONS :-dir/all
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu

From: geisenberg1@vaxa.hofstra.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 2 Nov 93 11:43:44 EST

howdy!
Just a couple of questions to ask from the Vila-meister.  First, could
someone please tell me how the hell the Spin Doctors are "Alternative".  I've
been a big fan of the group for a while, {Back in the days of The Wetlands, if
you guys can understand that.} and I'm damn curious how they got this cursid
term "Alternative". |:-(
My other question to you people is this: "Alternative." What the f*ck is up
with this bloody term.  I mean sh*t, is there a group that isn't "Alternative"?
Every time a group gains popularity, one of you freaks slaps that label on
them.  At first when the term was being used I was like "Hey, Depeche Mode,
Cure, R.E.M, They Might Be Giants are ALTERNATIVE. Dig it. I'm hip with it." But
 now Pearl Jam and the Spins are "Alternative". I thought the term
"Alternative", meant: Music that is an alternate to Pop, AOR (Album Oriented
Rock, if you're playin' the home game). At first the term rung true, but now
it's as overplayed as the Meatloaf viedo on VH1. Now, the true "Alternative",
music is just good 'ol fashioned good music
If "Alternative" music is about wearin' black, shavin' your head and piericing
yourself so you can be noticed, I have a simple suggestion. GROW UP ALREADY!
Deal with the fact that life sucks, move on with the fact, get a f*ck*n hobby
and above all else GET A LIFE! You people get me so angry I could allow myself
to watch "Thirty Something".

     "There's only two types of music ... Good and Bad." - Duke Ellington

                                        Fosi gi,
                                            Shaggy