Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TRS event at Rough Trade

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1993 16:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TRS event at Rough Trade
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Other than sort of hearving the album at too low a volume this event was
a disappointment.  The litho is not on display.  The employees kept
moaning about having to play Kate all day when they wanted to be playing
Nirvana.  The one Katefan who works there (Tom) obviously excited, but a
bit embarrassedthat they did not receive any giveaway items other than
buttons depicting the album cover.  They did get one copy of the video
singles for ETM and RBG but did not have a monitor to play them on.  In
spite of their advertisement to play the album at NOON, they were playing
it already when I walked in at 11:30 -- it was just ending with the only
song I hadn't heard yet, and one of the best on the album, You're the One.

I can only hope that TOWER does a bettr job of this.  I asked them about
purchasing the CD and they said that they would go on sale at 12:01 AM as
part of the promotion.  I say let's all show up in force and demand they
raffle the litho off to one of us present.  I know what happens with
these things:  the raffle tickets magically vanish before SONY collects
them and a store employee keeps the prize.  (Not a direct reflection on
Tower employees, or record store employees, but of my many friends who
over the years have worked in many many record stores.)

So anyway Rough Trade never ended up playing TRS at noon as they had just
played it and the brats were crying -- so they played Dead Can Dance,
which was really good and I bought it cause I love all that gloomy shit
being a gothic vampire music fan from way back way back when when Sisters
of Mercy was really fun.

So, see you at Tower Monday night?  Wear your red shoes.

Karen Newcombe kln@crl.com