Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why Not Curve

From: sgs5332@cs.rit.edu (Stephen G Siener)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1993 21:40:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Why Not Curve
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.rit.edu

>Has anyone heard of Curve besides myself?
(chopped)
>...Curve's latest single, "Superblaster."  I was informed this single was a
>"promo" only in the U.S.
(more chopping)
>And if you have not heard Curve, you don't know what you are missing.
>Signing off, "A lonely Curve fan."

As an amazing coincidence, I was listening to their latest full-length album
as I read this note.  I case you didn't already know, "Superblaster" is a
single from their newly-released album, "Cuckoo."  "Superblaster" is
available in the US, but not really being a collector, I haven't picked it
up.

I agree that anyone who hasn't heard Curve is truly missing something.  The
music is quite stylized, but for some reason has worn very well even after
heavy listening.  However, it's possible not all Kate fans will like it
since it has a definite edge to it.  The other two Curve albums I own are
"Doppelganger" and "Pubic Fruit."  "Pubic Fruit" is a compilation of their
initial three EPs.  All are excellent.

I have a question about a slightly more obscure band.  Has anyone ever heard
of "The Golden Palominos?"  They have really caught my interest of late.
Their new album, "This Is How It Feels," has the most innovative sound I
have heard in a long time.  In fact, college radio stations around here
won't play it because it's too "experimental."  I guess the forces of
homogeneity are active even in our bastions of free thought.  Anyway, I
haven't purchased it yet (college budget), but am adding it to my Christmas
list.  Some other items on my Christmas list are:

	The Cranes - "Forever"
	New Jane Siberry
	Tori Amos "post-puberty" album (when it comes out)
	PJ Harvey - "Rid of Me" & "Dry"
	New Sarah McLachlan

Speaking of Sarah McLachlan, I agree with the person who said she sounds
better live.  I saw her at an outdoor music festival and was AMAZED by the
power, clarity, and range of her voice.  Perhaps it is not a fair
comparison, but having also seen Sinead O'Connor I must say Sarah makes her
appear pale by comparison.  Also, the wonderful thing about this music
festival is the fact that it is wide open.  I actually got to chat with
Sarah for a while.  She is very accessible, very down-to-earth.  This year,
at the same festival, I saw Jane Siberry perform with the Rheostatics.
(Ontario readers should know who the Rheostitics are.)  Anyway, anyone who
lives within a day's drive of this festival ought to check it out.  It's
called the "Guelph Hillside Festival" and usually runs three days in July.
Their number is (519) 763-6396.

Sorry for rambling on...this is my first posting, so I had a lot to say.

Steve