Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate in Interview magazine

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 2:13:12 EDT
Subject: Kate in Interview magazine
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

Forwarded from Ecto

                ---------------

Bo goes:

> The latest issue of _Interview_ includes an article about "dreampop" by
> Greil Marcus.  He more or less traces the phenomenon (MBV, Swirlees, etc.)
> to Kate's _The Dreaming_.  The article even reproduces the cover of her
> album, and discusses the imagery briefly.  He concentrates most heavily,
> however, on The Cranberries and The Cranes.  Check it out.

Thanks for this information. I bought the issue this morning. I had
thought I'd have to go to Tower to find it, but I actually bought it
at my "L" stop! This guy carries everything from The Village Voice
to Architecual Digest (I know, I need a spell-checker, but I have
Philip Sainty at my beck and call to help me out) to Ladies Home
Journal to Meaty Men (their X selection is quite remarkable) so I
took a look around and lo and behold, there was the Interview!

This issue has Patricia Arquette on the cover (looking more like a
young Jessica Lange than Rosanna's sister). I haven't read it
all the way through but I did notice a nice tribute to Edith Piaf
and a one-page feature on an artist named "Lois." The article makes
her sound pretty cool, has anyone heard her? She hhas an album
called _Strumpet_ on K Records, and she's from Washington, DC. It
says "...her haunted balleds and lo-fi folk rockers sparkle within
the disc's rough production. Lois keeps her cool whether she's
baring her inner thoughts about inner thoughts or taking pokes at
media coverage of the feminist, punk rock grrrl scene." About the
title of the album, she says "To me, a strumpet is somebody who
is bold--somebody like birth-control advocate Margaret Sanger."

It's a weird magazine, big and heavy, the kind of magazine where
it's hard, if not impossible, to tell the hoity-toity ads from
the actual articles. Still, there are interesting things in it,
and any magazine that prints the album cover of _The Dreaming_
for an article about The Cranberries and The Cranes is ok by me.

Thanks again Bo!