Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate comes to my bookstore

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 93 17:46:22 PDT
Subject: Kate comes to my bookstore
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hello, Earth,

In a Bay Area newspaper, "The American Music Press" (issue 13, with the
Revolting Cocks on the cover.  I only mention that because that's my
favorite band name) comes the following review:

Kate Bush:  Eat the Music  (by Tony Mulligan)

After four years since her excellent "Sensual World" album, 'Eat the Music,'
the first track from her as yet unreleased new album "The Red Shoes" is
something of an uneventful foray into radio friendly nonsense that is
thankfully a rarity in her otherwise innovative career.  All is not lost
however as track three on this single, 'Big Stripey Lie' re-affirms my faith
in her songwriting prowess.  A brooding mood landscape reminscent of her
"Hounds of Love" period it is certainly the highlight of this otherwise
mediocre product.  All the same I eagerly await the release of "The Red
Shoes" as I think Kate needs at least forty minutes to get her beautiful
sublime message across.  I'm sure that it will yield some classic moments
as each of her seven previous albums have.
-End of Review-
Also in this issue is a long, boring artical on "Dead Can Dance", which I
only mention because I have tickets to see them in concert and you don't.

While we're at it, recently someone posted Kate's chart listings for up
to 'Experiment IV'.  Here's the rest (According to "British Hit Singles",
by Paul Gambaccini, Tim Rice, and Jonathan Rice.  This book is an indespensible
tome for lovers of British Pop Trivia):

Single                   Rank       Weeks on Chart
The Sensual World         12             5
This Woman's Work         25             5
Love and Anger            38             3

And I might as well include:
Don't Give Up              9            11

(If someone would post the above data for 'Rocket Man', this spud will
appreciate it greatly!)

Note:  This book has a GREAT photo of Kate in chain mail (full suit, NOT
like in the Babooshka video) bursting through an issue of Melody Maker.
Come to think of it, I should scan it while I have the book at work.

In almost-related news, the 1994 "Life in Hell" calendar mentions Katemas
('though it doesn't call it that).  No big deal, since it almost always
mentioned it.  But also the 1994 Simpsons calendar mentions it, too!  Aye
Carumba!  How much of a KateFan(tm) IS Matt Groening, anyway?

- Stev0 the bookworm

"If I could learn to twang like a rubberband,
 I'ld be a rubberband girl!"  - Bill Clinton at press conference, 10/10/93