Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Besides Kate . . .

From: niall@marple.as.utexas.edu (Niall Gaffney)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1993 00:16:53 -0600
Subject: Re: Besides Kate . . .
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9310010900.AA02278@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>,
arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.EDU (Alex Gibbs) wrote:

> ericf@netcom.com (Eric France) writes:
> > thus spake jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU (James Alexander Chokey):
> > > devoted.  So, in addition to Kate Bush, what other contemporary musicians
> > > are other gaffa readers really into?
> >
> > Arrrgh!  This crap has been deluging Really-Deep-Thoughts with top ten
> > lists for the last week or so.  Can we skip this pointlessness here
> > please?
> >
> > An easier (and less-bandwidth-consuming) way of accomplishing the same
> > goal is just to hang out here long enough, and see what other artists
> > people post about.
>
> It lets people know who has a similar taste to themselves.  This is
> useful because when someone mentions an artist they like, whom you
> haven't heard before, you can get at least a vague idea of whether you
> might also (I've been taking down names).  Granted it's vague but it
> gives you more info to go on.  And as Vickie said, other artists are
> rarely discussed in here.  But mainly it's fun.

I agree, I meen diversity is the fruit of life (or something like that) so
why not let others know what you listen to in your spare time.  The
performers I haven't seen mentioned that I would like to put in my $0.02
worth about are (not that they are my top ten, but there in there and
deserve some mention):
1> Nanci Griffith (country/folk...but most excellent music)
2> The Sundays
3> The Cranberries
And for anyone who has a CD spot to fill, I would suggest anything
from the above list (especially all three recent disks...right now
they rarely leave the CD changer).

Who has ever written a great work about the immense effort NOT to
create?  Intensity without mastery...The obsessiveness of the utterly
passive, and could it be in this passivity I should find my freedom?

                                         Slacker

Niall Ives Gaffney          ---   Department of Astronomy
niall@marple.as.utexas.edu  ---   University of Texas at Austin