Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: kate refs

From: Stephen Thomas <spt@cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 93 09:29:23 GMT
Subject: Re: kate refs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: spt@cs.nott.ac.uk

Seeing the article about the Kate ref in Terry Pratchett made me remember
something I had seen recently.  There was a Kate reference in The Times
Higher Educational Supplement, April 23rd '93 on page 17, in an article
by one Alan Williamson.  It was a humourous article, about how to get
through a humanities degree course without actually having to read
anything.  The Kate reference comes towards the end (quoting without
permission):

"Many of the classics of Eng Lit have been filmed.  *Wuthering Heights*
 is no exception.  We suggest the 1939 version starring Lawrence
 Olivier, Merle Oberon and David Niven [...]
 You might of course check on the *Top of the Pops* compilation
 videos.  Many scholars consider that Kate Bush captured the essence
 of Kathy's plight quite admirably in her 1978 hit single.  And it
 only lasts four minutes."

Accompanying the article was a single-panel cartoon, featuring a
student playing WH (the song) at extremely high volume in their room.
On the face of the student is an expression of extreme pain:  so much so
that they have torn pages out of WH (the book) to stuff into their
ears.  It is not made clear whether the source of this pain is Kate's
voice or simply the volume ... :-).

Keep well,

Stephen
--
| "I am here to drive you to the      | Stephen Thomas------------------------|
|  border of insanity and take notes" | Computing Dept, Univ. of Nottingham   |