Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe's "lesser achievements"

From: v088kczb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Bruce L Young)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 22:13:00 GMT
Subject: KaTe's "lesser achievements"
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nntp@acsu.buffalo.edu

Here's my "Bottom 10", with the caveat that this is always open to
change.  I've done such 180-degree turns with other artists (Pretenders,
Neil Young, Rush), so why not our beloved KaTe?

1.  	Experiment IV

	The pits.  If this didn't have "December Will Be Magic Again"
	on the flip side, this single would have been a complete loss.  The
	only KaTe song for which I'll throw out the above caveat.

2.	Waking the Witch

	A fave of many here on the net, but I'll have to pass.  A bad acid
	trip minus a melody equals YECCH.

3.	Houdini

	In which KaTe's theatricality temporarily gets the best of her.
	The mock-horror "they pull you from the WA-ter" makes me cringe.

4.	Coffee Homeground

	Ditto #3, and too cute.  On the plus side, I sometimes find this
	cutesiness to be at once cloying and inexplicably charming.

5.	Deeper Understanding

	This one leaves me cold.  A turn-off from an artist so engaging in
	her warmth.

6.	Wuthering Heights (new vocal)

	Here purely for philosophical reasons.  Redundant at best; I thought
	the original was more evocative.

7.	Rocket Man

	See #6.

8.	Burning Bridge

	A nothing-burger.

9-10.	Random selections from TSW, excepting "Love and Anger", "Reaching
	Out", "The Sensual World", "Walk Down the Middle".

My apologies to anyone whose favorite track(s) are here.  Remember - it's
just my $.02 !

-Bruce Young

(v088kczb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)

P.S.  Any KaTefans in Buffalo or environs - please feel free to e-mail
me.  I'd love to hear from you!