Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rubberband Girl

From: Andrea@hivnet.ubc.ca
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 93 09:15:07 PDT
Subject: Rubberband Girl
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I found it!

Rather by accident actually.  I went from store to store looking for EtM
this
weekend to no avail but did find an import of Rubberband Girl/Big Stripey
Lie
on picture disk at Zulu Records (on 4th at the corner of Burrard in
Vancouver
for those of you intending on rushing right over) for $11 and change.

I don't know who said it, but they are right, Rubberband Girl is about two
minutes too long.  And personally, I think she's going to regret doing the
Trio Bulgarica voicing herself.  Her voice is not suited to it.  The song
is definately catchy though and certainly danceable.  Question:  If part of
the reasoning behind working with Prince was to end up with a more
commercial sound and therefore to reach a wider audience or become more
mainstream, then why did she not use Prince's presence in the marketing of
the song?  He's not mentioned
anywhere on the disk (mind you there are hardly any credits to speak of)
and it seems to me that, if the above was her intention, she'd might want
to let everyone know.

I absolutely love BSL!  Anyone know if those violin bits are Nigel Kennedy?
 IMHO there's a lot of pain and anger in that song.  My SO and I were
discussing it and she said it sound like someone scourging themselves, but
that at the end (when all the other tracks disappear and the viloin and
synth are left) it's okay because all the anger and pain is gone and only
the sadness is left.  Sort of a mourning process.

Oh, and before I go, on a totally UN-KATE-RELATED note:  Anyone else
noticed that Ultravox has re-formed?  If anyone is interested in chatting
about this please post me directly so we don't bug everyone else.  Thanks!

Andrea.