Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New songs: first impressions

From: dfleenor@nettech.com (super dave?)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 11:29:38 -0500 (EDT)
Subject: New songs: first impressions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I picked up both the Eat the Music and Rubberband Girl CD singles this weekend.
Just thought I'd put in my $.02 worth.

I picked up Eat the Music Saturday and rushed home with it. Details follow:

1) Eat the Music: Could be worse....not bad after a few listens.
2) ETM remix: Not impressed.
3) Big Stripey Lie: Could be worse....
4) Candle in the Wind: I've had this for a while anyway on the Rocketman CD
   single, and while it's not bad, I think Rocketman is better. But that's
   another story....

I found Rubberband Girl at a record convention Sunday, and bought it without
hesitation, because if I didn't I'd have to special order it from my friendly
local record shop.

1) Rubberband Girl: MEGA EXCELLENT! OK, so it's a little commercial, but I
   kept asking myself: a)Is it Kate? Yes. b)Does it sound like Madonna? Janet
   Jackson? No. It sounds like Kate, funky but with that distinctive KaTe
   sound. I listened to it a dozen times before I got to the rest of the CD.
   Can't wait to see the video.
2) RG remix: I'm not into remixes, but it's better than ETM.
3) Big Stripey Lie: If I listen to a couple more times, I might like it (but
   only because it's Kate).

I guess I better put a standard "IMHO" anti-flame disclaimer to all the
above :-)

I also picked up some other cool stuff. I got two KB 12" interview picture
discs and a 12" EP with Kate on the front in Babooshka regalia. It's got
the French version of Infant Kiss on it, which I was dying to hear. This one
guy had a bunch of KaTe 12", but I was out of money. Next convention is in
October, I'm going to start saving now!