Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

opinions on the latest singles

From: henrik@husc.harvard.edu
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 93 22:05:47 -0400
Subject: opinions on the latest singles
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Well, I'm kind of worried.  I thought that "Eat the Music" was a dreadfully
dull calypso ripoff, and that "Big Stripy Lie" was actively *BAD*.
Of course, one must bear in mind that I *love* "Candle in the Wind".

I got "Rubberband Girl" today, which I do like a fair amount, except for
the fact that there is way too much bass in the mix and it muddies it up.

Is del palmer mixing these things?  If he is, for god's sake get him
OUT OF THE CONTROL ROOM!!!!!  The engineering on all cuts is dreadful, and
i've rarely heard a recording sound so cluttered with so few elements.  There
is absolutely no depth to the soundstage - the only thing that saved
_The Dreaming_ from sheer and utter oblivion by implosion.  A good mixing
engineer can save most peoples' masters,  but without one you're lost, no
matter how good the trax are.

Also, the remixes are among the least imaginitive i have ever heard for any
group.  It's a real shame to listen to them after "The Big Sky (The
Meteorological Mix)" or "Alternative Hounds of Love".

I think that "Eat the Music" would be OK if it were a b-side - it's got that
half-baked quality that makes a great many of her b-sides endearing if
not utterly compelling.  I think that "Big Stripy Lie" would be greatly
improved if she replaced the lead vocal with the SMPTE time code track.

She also needs to chuck the drum machine.

What scares me the most is that from what I've heard so far "Rubberband Girl"
and "Moments of Pleasure" are the two strongest tracks.

					larry...