Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Tori

From: heretic@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish)
Date: 1 Sep 1993 01:48 CDT
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Tori
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <260rd6$b0e@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, brownfld@rcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield) writes...

>     If indeed no one has ever said this of Peter Gabriel, if indeed there
>is an obvious and alarming LACK of male critique, and an incredible surge
>of female critique, then there is quite probably a reason.
>     Saying that this situation absolutely does exist, and that it is
>obviously sexism that caused it, is quite an unsupported jump.  I am
>absolutely NOT saying that this situation does not exist, nor that if it does
>it is impossible for it to be sexism, or that sexism just plain ol' doesn't
>exist.  I'm saying there isn't a whole lot to influence it either way.
>     By sexism, do you mean in favor of females?  That's about the only way I
>can consider it at all.
>
>>I would tend to agree.
>
>     Again, educate an old coot and tell me that this is either documented
>or it's just plain opinions.  Opinions I disagree with are normal.  Ghost
>data is not.

First off, I think you're taking this WAY too seriously. I'm
merely making some observations about my personal experience.
But, if I've confused you, I'll try to clarify.

In my reading (and I read a LOT of music-related material), I
frequently encounter discussions of and references to "women
singers" and "women songwriters." This sort of thing is
everywhere - reviews, articles, 'year's best' lists, etc.

Example of the type of writing I'm talking about:

"Sting is a brilliant songwriter from England."
"Jane Siberry is a brilliant female songwriter from Canada."

Now, I may be taking this the wrong way (and it wouldn't
be the first time), but to me this sounds like women are
put off into their own category. To me, it reads: "She's
good - for a woman."

The division of 'Best of Year' lists strikes me the
same way. Do we NEED separate categories for male and
female musicians? It's not like it was a contact sport.

Yes, I know - this has little to do with Chris' original
post. >shrug<

b r e t t

--------
99% caffeine-free is 99% not my kind of thing.