Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Tori

From: brownfld@rcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth R Brownfield)
Date: 1 Sep 1993 00:46:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Tori
To: rec-music-gaffa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

heretic@zeus.tamu.edu (Evolve or Perish) writes:
>I think Chris' point was more more along the following
>lines: we never hear or read comments like "Peter Gabriel
>is one of England's finest male songwriters." Yet, I always
>seem to be encountering this sort of qualification in
>discussions of female songwriters (and writers and filmmakers
>and painters, etc.). If I take him right (and no doubt he'll
>correct me:), he thinks this smacks of sexism.

     If indeed no one has ever said this of Peter Gabriel, if indeed there
is an obvious and alarming LACK of male critique, and an incredible surge
of female critique, then there is quite probably a reason.
     Saying that this situation absolutely does exist, and that it is
obviously sexism that caused it, is quite an unsupported jump.  I am
absolutely NOT saying that this situation does not exist, nor that if it does
it is impossible for it to be sexism, or that sexism just plain ol' doesn't
exist.  I'm saying there isn't a whole lot to influence it either way.
     By sexism, do you mean in favor of females?  That's about the only way I
can consider it at all.

>I would tend to agree.

     Again, educate an old coot and tell me that this is either documented
or it's just plain opinions.  Opinions I disagree with are normal.  Ghost
data is not.

--
                                                        Ken.
(217) 352-5679                                   brownfld@uiuc.edu