Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (Can) TWW Box

From: Tippi Chai <chai@utcc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 20:31:00 -0400
Subject: Re: (Can) TWW Box
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <746584626.AA00761@clone.his.com>,
Allan Balliett <allan.balliett@his.com> wrote:

>Excuse me if I missed something, but wouldn't TWW from CANADA be on the
>CAPITOL lbl rather than EMI as these boxes are?

>The importers tend to charge the retail in teh country of origin + their own
>mark-up.

In Canada it's actually Capitol-EMI.  The only Kanadian KaTe disc that I have
is TSW, and it has both the Capitol and EMI trademarks on it.  The other
KaTe CDs that I purchased in Canada (before the box set) are as follows:
TKS, LH, TD - UK pressing; NFE - W.German pressing; HOL - Japanese pressing.
Except for TD, I paid regular prices for the rest of them.  The rule being:
if the record company brings the foreign CDs in, instead of pressing them
locally, it's a "Special Import" and has negligible markup.  But if a
record store brings them in, then it's a "true" import and cost about 1/3 more.
(For some reason Capitol-EMI never brought in TD, so I paid "import price".)

Owing to the fact that Canada never made any KaTe CDs locally until TSW,
I'd think it highly unlikely that there would be a box set pressed here.
Thus the so-called "Canadian" box sets would be "special imports".

--
**********"We all breathe the same air" KaTe Bush
Tippi Chai, Toronto, Canada  <chai@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca || chai@utorgpu.bitnet>