Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Tori

From: Les <WADD@VM1.YorkU.CA>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 18:14:46 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Tori
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Chris Williams writes: "...I feel the need to compare female artists in an
exclusionary manner is unconscious sexism.  To insist that artist "A" is
brilliant while slagging artist "B" seems to be based on some notion that
female brilliance is somehow "limited" and that there simply isn't enough to go
around."

Please explain.  If a male says artist "A" (male) is brilliant while artist "B"
(male) is terrible, does this mean (according to your statement) that he is
unconsciously homophobic?.....or if a male says that artist "A" (female) is
brilliant while artist "B" male is terrible, does this mean he is somehow
lacking in male hormones?...or if a male says that artist "A" (male) is
brilliant while artist "B" (female) is terrible, does this mean he is
unconsciously a transvestite?.....or maybe that human brilliance is somehow
"limited"?  I find your link between comparisons (even exclusionary ones) and
sexism to be poorly worded.