Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rubberband Music Is Love?

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 93 14:11 CDT
Subject: Re: Rubberband Music Is Love?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0oTRXd-000Np1C@zoodle.robin.de> you write:
>Whoever wondered what I was talking about when I said I've listened to
>the new songs (thanks, btw, to everyone involved with it), I posted something
>
>I ftp'ed the three newest songs from the UK (8.6 KB/sec! faster than playing
>it...) and have just listened to them. My impressions:
>
>Rubberband Girl: Hmmm...
>Eat The Music: Hmmm...
>And So Is Love: ok...
>
>The first two didn't impress me at all. Kate, where is your voice? Hopefully
>only lost by the bad sound quality of 8 bit 8 kHz mono sound files. Hopefully.
>If my impression doesn't change with the arrival of a more hifi version, then
>I personally doubt that these songs will be very successful. I really hope
>that it's just the low-fi, as it was with me and Moments Of Pleasure.

   I'll repeat the offer to create 16-bit versions. The 8-bits I made
were at *11-khz* and the Sun format is *8-khz* so there may be some loss
there.

>And So Is Love is a lot better IMHO, but it also isn't very 'charty' stuff.
>I think I will like this song, but not as much as almost any PRE-Candle-In-
>The-Wind song. [says he and just types cursor-up and enter to listen to ASIL
>again.] Hmmm... maybe it is really ok.

   A radio-listening friend of ours insists that ASIL will be a
breakthrough song on "AOR" (Album Oriented Rock) stations here in the
US.

>Jorn and whoever else was at the special promotion show of these four songs
>in Chicago: Is the bass power due to some non-linearity in either recording
>or playback or is it due to the real ting? The lower frequencies are VERY
>prominent in each of the three songs.

   There wasn't any special promo show. It was a cassette tape sent to
"insiders" that managed to get outside. The extra bassiness is due to
dolby mistracking from copy to copy. I can remake it after EQ if enough
people agree that it is necessary. (Lord, do I hate cassettes! Worst
format *ever*!)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)