Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Announcing a Free Information Source in Music

From: mbic@mila.ps.uci.edu (Music and Brain Information Center)
Date: 18 Aug 93 21:54:22 GMT
Subject: Announcing a Free Information Source in Music
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu, rec-music-reviews@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.gdead, rec.music.newage, rec.music.synth, rec.music.video, alt.exotic-music, rec.music.christian, rec.music.funky, rec.music.industrial, rec.music.reviews, rec.music.indian.misc, rec.music.indian.classical

The following letter has been mailed to a number of music, auditory system
and behavioral/cognitive science researchers at a variety of institutions.
We are posting this notice to a variety of music-related newsgroups on the
chance that some readers might be interested but, as yet, unaware of our new
Music and Brain Information Database.  We welcome all inquiries.

-- MBIC Coordinators    (mbic@mila.ps.uci.edu)

		Announcing a Free Information Source in Music

Dear Colleague:

There is  now a source of information on research in music and
behavior that is available free of cost to all interested workers.

Topics covered are previous and current publications of journal
articles and books in the following fields: auditory system, animal
and human behavior, cognition, creativity, human brain and
neuropsychology of music, effects of music on behavior and
physiology, music education, music medicine, musical
performance, music therapy, perception and psychophysics.  The
entire contents of the following journals are being included:
Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education, Journal of
Music Therapy, Journal of Research in Music Education, Music
Perception, Psychology of Music, and Psychomusicology.  Complete
abstracts are included for journal articles, wherever possible. The
information base currently has more than 10,000 entries and it is
updated continually.

This information is being provided by the Music and the Brain
Information Center (MBIC), recently established at the University
of California, Irvine. Its goals are (a) to establish a computer-based
bibliographic record of  scientific research on music, including its
brain substrates, (b) to serve as a clearing house for the newest
findings and (c) to foster interdisciplinary knowledge concerning
music, behavior, the brain and allied fields.

Information is directly accessible via computer link. To obtain a
free account send E-mail to mbic@mila.ps.uci.edu.  However, if you
are unable to access the database by computer, please write or
FAX me at the address listed above, stating the type of search you
need and we will help if possible.

We invite you to send reprints and preprints for entry into the
database and we welcome suggestions concerning all aspects of the
database and the MBIC.

If this letter is a duplicate, please give it to a colleague or please
post.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Norman M. Weinberger