Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Commercial???

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 13:32:00 PDT
Subject: Re: Commercial???
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ed Suranyi explodes across the big screen in a non-stop orgy of
bullets and babes!!!!:

>I really don't understand the difference between "commercial" and
>"accessible".  They both mean that the general public likes the work.
>I mean, I can see something being "accessible" without being
>"commercial" -- bad luck could have prevented the song from being
>heard by a lot of people.  But a "commercial" song just has to be
>"accessible".  Since "Wuthering Heights" was a big hit in the UK, it
>must have been "accessible" to a large number of people there.
>Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion!

to me:

accessible == easy to get in to, safe, familiar
commercial == sells a lot

neither one implies the other, i think.  it certainly seems that most
people use "commercial" for "accessible" (though not the other way
around, usually), but i am not most people and i see no reason to use
imprecise language where precise language exists.

then again, i also think that rain is wet, so my judgement is pretty
suspect.

--
Jon Drukman                                      jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.